Your eyes can tell a lot about you – including how old you are. In some cases, wrinkling, puffiness, or sagging of the eyelids can make you appear much older than you actually are. Today, men and women alike are realizing eye lift surgery can make a dramatic difference in their appearance, taking years off of their look and restoring their self-confidence.
Eyelid surgery, also called blepharoplasty, is the surgical enhancement of eyelids. It can be performed on the upper or lower eyelids to aesthetically improve the look of the eyelid or to repair functional issues on the eyelid. At Buckhead Plastic Surgery, our patients love the results because it rejuvenates the area surrounding your eyes for a tighter, firmer and more youthful look.
Since the bleph is a serious procedure, it is important to weigh the pros and cons of eye lift surgery.
How Does Eye Lift Surgery Improve The Eyes
Before exploring the pros and cons of eye lift surgery, it is important to know how this procedure can correct or treat your eye concerns and issues. A blepharoplasty can provide a variety of benefits including:
- Loose skin that disrupts the natural contour of the upper lid (sometimes impairing vision)
- Fat deposits under the eye that give an appearance of puffiness
- Under eye bags
- Drooping lower lids that reveal white below the iris
- Excess skin and wrinkles of the lower lid
The Pros of Eye Lift Surgery
Blepharoplasty can improve the appearance of droopy, sagging, or puffy eyelids, making you look younger, more rested and more alert.
Many people feel self-conscious about their sagging eyelids and bags under their eyes. By correcting these issues, blepharoplasty can increase self-confidence and self-esteem.
In some cases, sagging eyelids can interfere with vision. By removing the excess skin and fat, blepharoplasty can improve vision and quality of life.
While the results of eye lift surgery are not permanent, they can last for many years. This means patients can enjoy the pros of eye lift surgery for a long time without additional procedures.
Our patient struggled with creasing and darkening under her eyes that she felt aged her appearance. It was her wish to refresh her face, brighten her expression and achieve a lifted appearance to her cheeks. In this video, Double Board Plastic Surgeon, Alan N Larsen, MD performs eyelid surgery, aka – a lower blepharoplasty procedure – to make his patient’s wishes a reality.
The Cons of Eye Lift Surgery
Risk of Complications
Like any surgery, blepharoplasty carries risks, including bleeding, infection, scarring, and anesthesia-related complications.
Recovery from blepharoplasty can take several weeks, during which time you may experience swelling, bruising and discomfort.
Some people may have unrealistic expectations about what blepharoplasty can achieve. It is important to have a realistic understanding of the potential results and limitations of the procedure.
There is a small risk of asymmetry in the eyelids after surgery, which can require further corrective procedures.
What Happens During Eye Lift Surgery?
Your eyelid surgery at Buckhead Plastic Surgery starts with a consultation, so Dr. Alan Larsen understands your concerns and your aesthetic goals. Together you will discuss the procedure, the recovery and the intended results.
Eyelid surgery is performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation. Dr. Larsen is extremely intentional and talented in placing incisions to reduce scarring, so it will be naturally hidden by the eyelid structure. In fact, most patients do not see any scars following this procedure, which is one of the pros of eye lift surgery performed at Buckhead Plastic Surgery.
For surgeries regarding the upper eyelid, incisions are made along the natural crease above the eye. After the incision is made, excess skin is removed and fat deposits are repositioned or removed and the muscles are tightened for a youthful, more alert look.
For surgeries correcting issues of the lower eyelid, an incision is usually made just below the lash line. Following the incision, a similar procedure is done where fat deposits are removed or repositioned and excess skin is removed.
At times a specific procedure called a transjunctional incision may be used. This procedure is an alternative technique that is sometimes used to correct under-eye conditions. Most commonly when fat deposits need to be removed or repositioned but no skin needs to be removed. Dr. Larsen will present the best surgical or non-surgical options for you to meet your goals.
For some patients, the upper eyelid skin may be more prominent than they would expect after surgery because removing all of the extra skin would not allow you to close your upper eyelid. Additionally, some patients may have more or less of an upper eyelid crease. These are examples of the potential cons of eye lift surgery. However, most patients are thrilled with their eye lift results.
What Is Eye Lift Recovery Like?
When it comes to the pros and cons of eye lift surgery, recovery tends to be a con, because there is downtime. However, the downtime tends to be relatively painless and your surgery team will give you specific guidelines and instructions to make recovery as easy as possible.
- Immediately following your surgery you will wake up with a lubricating agent and cold compresses on your eyes. Sometimes loose gauze is applied.
- The initial healing process will include some bruising and swelling. (These are both common with most facial surgeries)
- Most patients will notice a dramatic reduction in swelling after the first 4 to 5 days. Although bruising will take longer to heal.
- Some patients experience dry eyes, discomfort or irritation at the incision site. All of these are a normal part of the healing process and no cause for concern. In the majority of cases, it is easily managed by applying cold compresses and taking pain medications.
- Most patients return to their normal activities within 2 weeks of surgery after swelling and bruising have reduced revealing the surgery results.
- As your body continues to heal over the next few months, your results will only improve as the contours of your face settle. You will quickly notice that although the results of this procedure are dramatic they are also extremely natural looking, which is another pro of eye lift surgery at Buckhead Plastic Surgery.
Even though you will be returning to most of your normal activities after the first 2 weeks, there are a few exceptions like high impact sports or any activities that could specifically cause trauma to the face or eyes.